21 February 2017
Campaign to awareness about preventable sight loss on World Sight Day
11 October 2016
This 13th October marks World Sight Day, which galvanizes the eye health community to draw attention on a global level about blindness and vision impairment.
Blindness and vision loss can be prevented or treated in at least 50% of the cases, but screening and early diagnosis are key to make this happen! This year, the European Forum Against Blindness (EFAB), the European Coalition for Vision (ECV) and the European Alliance for Vision Research and Ophthalmology (EU EYE) on a social media campaign to raise awareness about preventable sight loss.
As part of EFAB and ECV, the Optical Confederation is proud to support this initiative.
To mark the day, the social media campaign will spread a simple message: We need to talk about eyes! Vision loss and blindness require the immediate attention of national and European policymakers. As Europeans live longer and longer, we need improved mechanisms for screening and identifying eye diseases early on, especially with at risk groups such as people affected by diabetes or other chronic diseases. This helps us realise the objective of a healthy ageing European population.
Join the online campaign for World Sight Day on 13 October - the idea is simple!
- Visit the ECV website http://www.ecvision.eu/wsd2016-1
- Print the message that you would like to spread
- Hold the message high and take a selfie (or ask someone to take a photo of you)
- Post it on Twitter or Facebook using the campaign hashtag (#EyeHealthEU) and the World Sight Day hashtags (#WorldSightDay, #WSD2016)
Please feel free to share the following tweets:
- Help us raise awareness about preventable #blindness on #WorldSightDay by tweeting a selfie! #EyeHealthEU
- Proud to support #EyeHealthEU campaign on the occasion of #WorldSightDay!
As advocating with one collective voice is central to making eye health a priority for national governments and to improve vision awareness among the general population, we look forward to receiving your selfies!