21 February 2017
The Association of British Dispensing Opticians (ABDO) is the only professional body in the UK solely dedicated to the interests of dispensing opticians, both individually and collectively, and to the profession of dispensing optics.
Since it was founded in 1986 the total number of members has more than doubled. ABDO has also grown internationally and now has members and conducts its activities in over 25 other countries outside the UK.
ABDO currently represents 5,600 qualified dispensing opticians in the UK; it also has 800 overseas members, some 2,000 student members worldwide and over 600 Associate members.
Some of the Association’s core activities include:
• Political and legislative lobbying for the rights and status of dispensing opticians
• Providing professional advice and guidelines
• Setting the syllabus for all ophthalmic dispensing examinations
• Acting as an awarding body for ophthalmic dispensing qualifications
• Conducting examinations and providing trained examiners
• Providing extensive CET (Continuing Education and Training)
• Encouraging lifelong learning and the provision of higher/honours qualifications
• Providing a comprehensive range of membership benefits and services
• Working proactively with other optical bodies (ABDO is an active member of the Optical Confederation, a stakeholder in LOCSU and participates in the Careers in Optics working group)
To find out more, please go to: www.abdo.org.uk